Even though there is a wide range of technical devices used for recording musical sounds, some are more popular because they are much better than others. In fact, the tools and equipment that artists use can make a major difference in the sounds recorded. One of the more notable consists of using handheld multitrack recorder devices to capture the highest quality sounds.
For those who are interested in products that provide the best technological innovations, here are 3 of the best handheld multitrack recorder options and a brief overview of each.
Zoom H4N PRO Digital Multitrack Recorder
- Four-channel recording up to 24-bit, 96 kHz. Built-in stereo X/Y microphones, up to 140 dB SPL
- 2 XLR/TRS inputs with locking connectors. Records directly to SD/SDHC cards up to 32 GB
- 4-in/2-out USB audio interface. Monaural speaker: 400 mW 8 Ω
- Line/phone-LINE Output load impedance- 10 kΩ or more. LINE rated output level: -10 dBu. PHONE- 20 mW + 20 mW (into 32Ω load)
- All Black Finish
The Zoom H4N PRO Digital Multitrack Recorder has quite a bit of positive feedback from people reporting on their experiences with this recorder. With this version of the Zoom H4N Pro, there are quite a few updates to enjoy, specifically, as it compares to the last version that the manufacturer released.
- Manufacturers have designed this device with a built-in stereo X/Y microphones
- Comes with a 4-channel function with recording capabilities of up to 24-bit / 96kHz
- 2 XLR/TRS inputs with locking connectors
- Users also provided with the capability of recording their sounds on SD/SDHC cards
- 4-in/2-out USB audio interface
- This new release is exceptional due to the fact that it has no noise and it is great for podcasting startups
- Also, it is relatively easy to learn and understand and spending a little extra time in the manual will help you get the most out of its multifunctional capabilities (i.e. can be used as a camera mic)
- Comes with a simple interface and it is easy to operate
- It perfectly fits in the hand and can be easily operated because all of the buttons and the wheels are within immediate reach of the index finger and thumb
Problems encountered with trying to update the firmware, even with multiple attempts could not solve it.
Great product that keeps out noise. Comes with an easy-to-use interface that makes it simple to operate. Highly recommended to users because of its multi-functional features.
Tascam DR-05X Portable Handheld Digital Audio Recorder
- The dual internal condenser microphones can handle anything from subtle to loud, with sensitivity to capture every detail
- A revamped layout means operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding Markers are quick and easy
- Uses only two AA batteries, but can record for an outstanding 17. 5 hours; It can also be powered by a USB mobile battery
- Connect to a PC using USB Audio Interface Mode for voiceover work, live streaming, podcasting and songwriting with studio-quality audio
The Tascam DR-05X Portable Handheld Digital Audio Recorder is a great choice for a number of different reasons. Since it has a lot of great features in a compact design, it is ideal for artists in virtually any area of music to use. So, for those of you who are interested in what this portable handheld audio recorder offers, here’s a brief overview of the pros, cons, and other useful facts about this product.
- Comes with in a lightweight and compact design that provides you with the capabilities to record virtually anywhere. This device is a perfect solution for musicians and others in related fields
- Provides quality WAV and MP3 recording functionality
- Device records up to 24-Bit/96 kHz
- Comes with a built-in chromatic tuner that gives you the capability to make sure that you are in key at all times
- MicroSD or MicroSDHC cards can be used for audio storage
- To capture stereo sounds clearly, it has integrated microphones included in its design
- Great recorder for its price
- This mic that has been provided is a waste of time and money
- The audio becomes very muddy when this mic is being used to record
Overall, this device is considered to be great for its intended use. However, some of the feedback says that it slightly noisy so it may not be the best for those who need it for more professional purposes.
Zoom H4N Handy Portable Digital Recorder – 2009 Version
- Onboard X/Y Mics: High quality with easy to set selectable recording width (90 and 120 degrees)
- 2 XLR/TRS Inputs: Connect mics, instruments, and line level devices for added possibilities
- 24-bit/96kHz Recording: High resolution audio
- Expanded Capabilities: Built-in effects, audio interface mode, and onboard speaker make it the recorder of choice
- Included Accessories - old version: 2G SD card, power adaptor, microphone adaptor clip, foam windscreen, plastic case, USB cable, 2x AA batteries, Cubase LE, manual.
Zoom H4N Handy Portable Digital Recorder – 2009 Version has a lot of great consumer feedback that potential buyers can review prior to making their decision. Because it has been on the market since 2009, people have had a chance to test out this version for quite some time now and they can share the good and the bad of their experiences. For those who are interested in what this handy portable digital recorder has to offer, here is some information that can assist you in making your decision.
- Comes with high-quality onboard X/Y Mics that is easy to set up
- Designed with ease of use selectable recording widths
- For added possibilities, the manufacturer has included 2 XLR/TRS Inputs (i.e. connect line-level devices, mics, and instruments)
- For high resolution audio capabilities, this device comes with 24-bit/96kHz recording functionality
- Featured with onboard recorder of choice that expands its overall capabilities (i.e. built in effects with an audio interface mode)
- Users says that there is virtually no noise on this new version so it is very impressive, even when being compared to its predecessor
- Even though this device is the smaller version of the 3 Zooms, its sound is still much clearer than other recording alternatives
- Quality cannot be beaten, specifically when it comes to ambient sounds in stereo (i.e., rain, trees, and the like)
- Excellent multifunctional tool since it can be used in a variety of ways (i.e. field recorder)
Comes with 2 AA batteries so it will only last about 4 hours straight. An AC adapter will be needed for longer field projects that extend further out than this time
Overall, the Zoom H4N Handy Portable Digital Recorder – 2009 Version is an excellent choice. It has a lot of great benefits including being classed a multi-functional tool that artists can use in a number of different ways to support their specific needs.
Each of these 3 devices has received positive feedback from consumers. However, two of these handheld devices standout since they provide you with the better quality no noise experiences and they are the Zoom H4NPro Digital Recorders (version 2009 and version 2016).