When you are first learning how to record music, you may not have the money to rent or build your own studio. This can limit you somewhat, but the news isn’t all bad. You may not know yet how to make a recording studio in your room, but it can be done relatively easily. Here’s a look at how to do it and what you’ll need.
There are a few steps you’ll have to go through when you’re deciding where to set up your space and what you’ll require in it.
- Pick a room. The most important thing you’ll need to do is choose a room. It doesn’t really matter what type of room you have available, especially since you’re first starting out. It is more important that the room doesn’t have a lot of stuff in it that can’t be removed. You’ll need to be able to clean out the room, so that nothing is hanging on the walls. This will limit the other types of noises that will be heard in your recording. It’s also beneficial if the room doesn’t have a lot of windows. This can make it next to impossible to limit the noises that you will hear in your playback.
- Decide on the layout. After you have picked a room, you need to decide what the setup will be. If this is your bedroom, you’ll need to make sure that there’s a separate area for your equipment. If you have a room that is empty to work with, this step will be even easier. It’s best if you make up a map of where you want everything to go, since you’ll need your musical gear and your recording equipment. They’ll need plenty of space, as well as access to electricity too.
- Determine what you want to record. Depending on what you want to record, music or actual songs that are being sung, you’ll need different tools to complete the job. Once you figure out exactly what to record, it will give you a better idea of how many mics you’ll need, and things like that.
- Purchase equipment. The main items you’ll need, besides any instruments you’ll be using are at least one microphone, a computer, speakers, headphones, a sound card, a mixer, and some type of audio editing software. You should ask around and do your own research to find out what products will work the best for you needs. Remember that you don’t have to get the most expensive items for them to be quality items, so take the time to get informed before you make a purchase. In terms of the editing software, you can find some free versions online to try, or you can go with what many others use. It’s up to you which one you want to choose, as many have features that are quite useful.
- Start recording. After you have done all of these things, all that’s left to do is start recording. That’s the only way you’ll know if your setup works well and what you need to adjust or modify to get it to work the way you want it to. Once you get those minor things out of the way, virtually nothing can stop you from recording and editing your music.
Where to Splurge
While purchasing some of the needed items at a lower price is okay, other items need to be of a superior quality. For example, when it comes to buying speakers, which are also known as monitors, you’ll need to get something that is sophisticated enough to pick up all the highs and lows when you are listening to the playback. When you can’t afford the best monitors, you can purchase a nice set of headphones instead. This will help you listen to the music without disturbing others. If you are able to purchase both, you will be able to edit your music all hours of the day and night with no problems.
Another thing you’ll need to pay close attention to is the computer you’re working with. It will need to have a significant amount of RAM, a relatively fast processor, and a hard drive that you can count on. In other words, you can use a slightly older model, but it should still be quite powerful. It should also be able to run the audio editing software you chose.
If you are having trouble soundproofing your room, there are options available. You can place special insulation on the walls in strategic areas, or set up your equipment in a different manner. Look around online to see how other people solve this problem if you find yourself limited by the ambient noise around you.
Make sure that you keep your room tidy, no matter what type of room it is. You can’t have things just laying on the floor or gathering dust. You will need to take care of everything and keep it clean, especially since it’s an investment you’ll likely want to build on.
It may do you some good to purchase extra cables for your devices. You never know when one might go out or stop functioning properly, and it can save you a lot of time if you simply have extras lying around. This is a good rule of thumb for your computer components as well.
If you are seriously interested in making a recording studio in your home, it is a relatively simple process. You will have to find the right space, make sure that it’s as empty as possible, clean, and that you are able to limit some of the noises in it. You’ll also need to pay special attention to the setup, get the right tools, and start recording to make sure everything works as it should. It doesn’t matter what size space you prefer, but it is best when you have a space that can grow as you learn more and possibly obtain more equipment or instruments.